Sunday 1 November 2009

Economy Gastronomy update - Braised Beef

So, we did chicken. Boy. Did we do chicken. Last weekend we moved onto Braised Beef.

I made the bedrock recipe - the Daube of beef (pg 79.) Really easy. You buy a LOT of beef - 2.5 kg. But, recipe straight forward. Again a slow cooking one so it goes in the oven for about 3 hours on a low setting to get the beef nice and tender. I served it the next day for Sunday lunch with the Greens and Colcannon mash when my sister and her hubby come to collect my niece. Resounding thumbs up on this one and I don't think my sister even likes mash.

Having learnt from the chicken overload experience - all the left overs go in the freezer. Just as well as Jonny was not at home to eat for a single evening since last Sunday. Now I know red meat is good for my red cell count but I really could not have eaten all that.

Today is the first day we have seen some more of it. We tumbledowned to the Pappardelle with slow cooked beef and mushrooms (pg 81.) Had every in that was needed - the only extra fresh things you need are tomatoes, mushrooms and basil. This one is a lunchtime winner. You don't get that satisfied Sunday lunch feeling but it does the job. Especially if you want a quick meal:





We need to tumbledown the beef pasties and then I'm not sure whether it will be Lamb Mince or Salmon next. Watch this space.

No comments: