Friday 27 November 2009

Gavin and Stacey - Final Series

I got back from my first Christmas drinks of the year last night, which was at the studio where I am doing my course, and was REALLY tired. Think the last few days have caught up with me. I did have the nice time though. I had reindeer canapes. I have never had reindeer before. My genius taste bud observation was that it really tasted like venison, which Jonny then pointed out to me later was because they are basically the same animal. Doh.

Anyway, I was going to get a super early night as felt I needed it. Then noticed that Gavin and Stacey was on at 9 so decided I had enough energy to watch that. I LOVE this show. I have done since the start. I know that since the hugely successful Christmas special last year it has got an increased following. But I have been with it for a long time.

I feel there are special reasons why I find it so funny. Stacey is from Barry Island and when I was a student in Cardiff I went for a day out there. It is therefore brings back kind of nostalgic memories of my time in South Wales, and so many of the things that they make fun of used to make me laugh when I was living there. Locals in South Wales really do say "what's occurring?" Another favourite line is "is it" at the end of practically every sentence. And this is slightly off topic but when I was working as a cashier in a high street bank in Cardiff locals would come in to access their bank. Not their bank account, but their bank. Honestly they all talked like they owned the whole place. And another classic line is "I will do it after." After what exactly? This one had me confused for ages. It basically means later, or after the thing they are doing, although they never actually complete the sentence by committing to exactly after what.

At the start of this series Gavin is now living in Barry. The office he is working at is so similar to a place that I worked for a summer. By a bizarre twist of coincidence Jonny has also visited this company with his research work. This really is quite a statistically unlikely thing as the place is tiny, and in an unknown suburb of Cardiff called St Mellons. Ness hosts the christening of Neil Noel Edmunds Smith - the result of a few minutes spent in the garden with Smithy at Gavins parents house in an earlier series. The whole cast is brilliant. Jonny thinks the old lady who is always swearing who lives next door to Staceys Mam is hilarious. Personally Ness and Smithy are my favourites.

I don't know why they have decided to call time on this series. But maybe it is one of those things that should end on a high. For now I am really glad it is back on air, and I have my sky plus box firmly set on series link. Tidy.

1 comment:

the bans said...

We are desperate to watch Gavin and Stacey! Be warned, if we don't manage to track it down before Christmas we might ignore you when we come to visit in January and just watch the whole season from your sky box! But don't think I can wait that long!! LOVE IT! (The barn dance episode from season 2 is our favourite and we watch it whenever we need cheering up).