Monday 16 November 2009

Super Healthly Green Vegetable Soup

Anyone would think I have some scan or something looming, given this was the most obvious thing I could think to make for my tea. And I continue on sugar strike. Maybe there is. Maybe there isn't. But anyway I got more excited the more green vegetables I put in this soup. It also probably had something to do with it being dinner for one tonight, hence no moaning about the lack of bacon or cheese or pasta in this, had someone else been home. Which are apparently on the alternative list of superfoods.

Ingredients:

Good glug of olive oil (anti inflammatory properties, good for healthy cells)
1 Leek, chopped, Sliced shallots, Crushed garlic cloves (all high in anti nasty qualities)
1 fennel bulb (detoxing for liver)
I small head of broccoli, including the stalk, sliced and half a cauliflower. (Crucifous vegetables are the king of superfoods.)
1 pint of hot vegetable stock
Large splash of white wine (well this has grapes in it and adds to the flavour)
Lots of ground black pepper
Generous amount of chopped parsley.

Put a large heavy based pan on the hob. Heat the oil and then add the ingredients in the order listed. Softening as you go. Add the hot stock and wine. Bring to the boil. Turn down to simmer and leave for approx. 20 minutes.

After the 20 minutes has passed, use a handheld blender to blend until smooth, leaving some chunky veg in it. Add the parsley and stir well. Add lots of freshly ground black pepper and serve.

Now. Give this recipe a chance. It may make Gillian McKeith proud but it actually tasted really good. The cauliflower gives it a creaminess. The leeks and fennel a depth of flavour. And the stock and wine give good consistency.

Ok. So this tasted good. But Jonny is at Nobu on some work dinner this evening and I think his tea probably tasted marginally better than mine. And I know fish is good for you too, but think I win the superfood prize this evening. Although if I had been offered the chance to go to Nobu tonight I would be there too. Loving the Miranda show on BBC 2 though. Not that I am biased about the cast or anything.

2 comments:

the bans said...

Just eating some homemade butternut squash soup for lunch that I whipped up between conference calls - very Martha Stewart-esque. Also something my other half would grumble about so definitely reserved for those times I am dining alone. We are the Soup-erfood Queens - heh heh xxx

Jo Blogz said...

Soup-erfoods. Love it. Hmm butternut squash soup - nice. xx