Friday 6 November 2009

Thai Green Curry

This one went down well. I have made Thai Green Curry so many times that I tend to make it up as I go along these days. If we have people for dinner then I make my own paste. Whilst impressive this can be dangerous as chilli's can be different heat and on one occasion I served an unintentionally VERY hot version for a couple of friends, who went bright red and were sweating lots and guzzled their own weight in water. Not my finest culinary moment.

Requests for recipe last night (and this is quick and easy and using shop bought paste!)

Serves 4

Ingredients:
  • 1 white onion, finely sliced
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
  • Large dash of flavourless oil - I use ground nut oil
  • 2 chicken breasts, skinned and diced. 2 chicken thighs, skinned and diced. I find the mixture of white and brown meat best
  • 300g mushrooms, sliced OR bag of frozen char grilled vegetables
  • 1 X 400g can coconut milk
  • 400g hot vegetable or chicken stock
  • Few crushed lime leaves (buy frozen from Waitrose)
  • Couple of tablespoons chopped coriander (by frozen from Waitrose)
  • 1 tablespoon Thai Fish Sauce
  • 1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste (as much or as little as you like, depending how hot you want your curry)
  • Pinch of ground ginger, cumin, coriander powder

Method:

Soften onions and garlic over medium heat in oil for about 5 minutes. Add the chicken, and more oil if needed, and stir fry until brown and cooked through. Add mushrooms / vegetables. Stir fry quickly.

Add all the other ingredients. Bring to the boil and then turn down to simmer for about 20 minutes. Add more fresh coriander at the end if you like.

Done. Serve with lots of soft white rice and maybe a nice cool glass of Sauvignon Blanc.

No comments: