Thursday 26 November 2009

Swine Flu Jab

I had my swine flu jab this morning, along with my "normal" flu jab. Because I have a compromised immune system both the other JC and I fall into the category which are a priority for getting it. I had been a little uncertain about having this jab. It is new and you kind of get nervous about a new drug that has been developed in a short time frame in response to the epidemic. I felt somewhat reassured the other day when a friend pointed out to me that straight flu jabs have been around for many years, and apparently all they have done is varied the make up slightly to protect you against this swine flu strain.

Anyway, it is done now, so no point worrying about the "what ifs." I know of friends who have had swine flu and it is a nasty thing to catch. And although hitting the headlines less than a few months ago, it is certainly still very much alive and kicking and looking for new people to knock out. I could do without being one of them.

I had my swine flu in my left arm and my normal flu jab in my left buttock. I did request it all went into the bum area as I have a lot more flesh/flab/fat there. Apparently not. I am glad I requested some went into my butt though as my left arm feels pretty achy, as does my hip area so think that may have been a very sore arm indeed. Other than that I feel OK.

I saw a different nurse at the surgery to the one I normally see. She could have won awards in the "what not to say to Jo" competition, when asking me why I was having it. So bad it was laughable. Well certainly it was either laugh or cry. I'll give you a taste... her farewell comment was "keep smiling." Er - hello! Whatever. My friend was waiting for me in the waiting room ready to whisk me off for some retail therapy. I just don't have a confrontational personality. But she could really do with some kind of sensitivity training. Remind me to make appointments Monday to Wednesday in future.

No comments: