Tuesday 24 November 2009

Economy Gastronomy - update 3

The past couple of nights I have been back on the Economy Gastronomy case. I like the precision of cooking, which seems to give me some control at points when I fear I may be about to loose it. Anyway, I have discovered the "mid week suppers" section of the book. Last night I made the Cuban chicken. I have never been to Cuba so have no idea how genuinely Cuban this recipe is but there you go. It is one of those one pot dishes that are easy to do ahead. Essentially it is chicken marinated with herbs, all cooked in chicken stock with onion, garlic and peppers. You use chicken legs too, which are cheaper. I used the stock made from one of the other recipes and it came out a-o-k. I think. I mean it made loads. Jonny demolished his very quickly indeed. I just kind of picked at it as was having a stomach in knots kind of hour over dinner. We have lots of the rice leftovers in the freezer, which is kind of like a risotto. Which is handy anyway.

Tonight was more successful in terms of me eating it at least. I love frittata. I generally find that if I am struggling to eat then eggs of any description go down well. So the combination of new potatoes, chorizo, spring onions and eggs made for a thumbs up tonight. Really easy and nice top tip to line your pan with greaseproof paper to save the bottom on the pan sticking issue. Picture below. Not sure it looks that "wow" but this one is a winner. And eggs are extremely good for you too.


No comments: