Wednesday 11 November 2009

Homework Avoidance Tactics

I've just been doing some of my homework for my new course. I like my course a lot. The other people seem really nice and although my first weekend of study I found pretty tiring, I am glad I am doing this. The studio is a nice place to be in the main. I say "in the main" because sometimes stretching and strengthening your muscles can hurt. A lot.

I am sure I will have my "what an earth am I doing?" moments. I think I had one of these around mid Sunday when my brain was feeling saturated with information. The amount I need to cover and absorb is somewhat overwhelming. You should see the size of the file. Brought back memories of my accountancy exams when I used to spend weeks and weeks studying every page of lever arch files.

But given I am interested in this subject, it's a little worrying that I found myself doing homework avoidance tactics this afternoon. Wrote a long list of all the things I MUST get done before I got on. Clear the decks so I can give it my full focus. Yeah right. It's because I am a bit overwhelmed and didn't really know what I was doing. At the bottom of the mountain so to speak.

Anyway, once I got stuck in, I lost about 3 hours looking at all sorts of diagrams of muscles and bones in the body and how they all attach. I made my own pretty pictures of stick men with a colour key and lots of pretty arrows and crosses of muscle groups, directions of movement and lots of other technical things that I didn't know before. I have a large book of Musculo-skeletal anatomy and a couple of anatomy colouring books that I think I am going to be spending a lot of time with over the next few months. Our insides are amazing. Seriously. We have all these layers of muscles connecting different bits of us. They link up in all sorts of directions. And someone somewhere once gave them all difficult Latin names. Darn. I never really got very far with Latin in school. I do remember "Caecillius est mort," but don't think that is going to help me here.

Someone said to me I may find this subject difficult, given the issues with my own body. I don't feel like that at all. This exercise makes my body feel good, and learning about it so far has only made me understand better why that is, which is part of the reason I signed up in the first place.

It's all a bit scary though. I've got an anatomy exam in 3 weeks and my first demonstration of a 60 minute sample session in 4. It's going to be a steep learning curve and I hope I don't fall off that mountain. Right now I fear I might.

No comments: