Saturday 7 November 2009

Meatloaf


Never really been a fan. Of the artist or the dish. So, was a somewhat reluctant choice from the so far very successful Economy Gastronomy cookbook. However, a glance down the ingredients this morning made me think I should open my views somewhat. Aubergine and olives. Nice. Oregano, garlic and onion. Good. Lamb mince. I had some good quality stuff in the freezer. Didn't have a lot of other options for this evening either quite frankly.

So, back from from first day of my course (all good but that's another post) into the magi mix went all the ingredients. This is slightly away from Allegra's guidance but hey, it's my meatloaf so who cares? Fiddly bit was the aubergine but worth it for the nice strips that line your loaf. Other than that, whizz and whack in loaf tin in the oven.

Verdict: Apart from the realisation on eating that I had used whole and not pitted olives... pleasantly surprised. I think this dish proves my theory that if you take good quality fresh ingredients, and complimentary mix of flavours, all should be fine. Can't say this is ever going to be my favourite dish in the world but tasted a-o-k.

As for Mr Meatloaf himself. It will take more than a decent mix of his tunes to change my music tastes I'm afraid. More of a Take That girl.

No comments: