Thursday 21 January 2010

Oasis

The past couple of weeks I have started going to a new group. It is called Oasis and is a place for women in the church community who are around in the week, for whatever reason, to get together. It is an hour of tea, biscuits, study and sharing.



Due to my sleep problems of late, I was feeling somewhat weary this morning, but was really glad I went. We had good conversation, could share on things on our hearts and did feel like an "oasis."



I have recently finished reading Malcom Gladwells book "Outliers," which I would really recommend as a fascinating and entertaining read. It examines reasons why certain communities are healthier, certain people are successful in business, some a great a sport and even why certain groups of people are good at maths. In his opening chapter, he explores why a certain town in the States has such a low incidence of heart disease. Despite the fact they do little exercise, eat a high fat diet and essentially do many of the things that medically would suggest the number of heart attacks would be much higher. He concludes that the closeness of the community, the connections that people have in that town, due to their inherited culture and history is unique. And that this community lifestyle has served to protect against many of the stress and emotional issues that most Western society experiences.



I think there is something different from "people you know" and "knowing people." I know a lot of people, but I only really know a few of them and vice versa. When you become familiar with someones weekly routine, how they like their tea to be made, what makes them happy and what makes them sad - then I think you get to a place where you actually know them. And it is a real shame that so many are so busy these days, that finding that closeness and familiarity of community often somehow seems to have get lost.



I know some people are private people, and don't really want to be "known." I used to think I was the same. But finding myself in the situation I am in, and actually even if I didn't have the elephant to contend with, then I think it is important to have people around who know you, because, well, quite frankly, we are designed to interact with each other. And I for one think it is better for your well being, as Mr Gladwell found in his research too.

No comments: