Wednesday 6 January 2010

It's snow time

Or alternatively, and perhaps more realistically, it's slush time. However, the headlines are snowmania, and as per usual the UK transport system is unable to cope. I was heading back from the Junction earlier and there were numerous cancellations and delays, including it would seem any trains to my local station. It seems that any variation in weather in this country and we moan and/or the rail network seems unable to cope. Too hot, too cold, too little rain, too much rain... and my all time favourite of "leaves on the track." You'd really think they'd have that one figured out by now, but every autumn it causes all sorts of problems.

To be fair, some parts of the country do seem to be suffering more than slushville round here. My friend who lives in a village in Worcestershire is literally snowed in and her daughter had to be rescued by a 4x4 to be brought home from nursery. And many schools are closed because, um, it's too cold or dangerous or something.

I just don't get why we are so bad at coping with changes in weather in this country. We have a similar snowfall every couple of years or so, and yet every time the roads don't get gritted in time, pipes freeze up and the press create lots of panic about getting supplies of food in.

Or maybe I am just being grumpy because I didn't get my wish of so much snow that Jonny had to stay home today. That and I hope our friends make it back to the UK from Rome tomorrow. They live in Canada, where "a lot of snow" is a whole new level to what we get here. And I bet trains could cope with a bit of slush there.

No comments: