Thursday 14 January 2010

Haiti Earthquake

I sat this evening on my sofa, nice and toasty under my blanket (and sheep) in my nice warm home, watching the early evening news. I am ashamed to say it is the first time I have really watched properly the events of the earthquake in Haiti and the impact on the people there. They were reporting that 50, 000 people have been killed, and double that are injured. There are no hospital supplies, no blankets, no food. The most upsetting image I watched was of a man whose daughter lay dead in the street covered in a white sheet "with the garbage." "I'm not just going to leave her here," her father wept.

A friend of mine works for Tearfund, who are one of the charities despatching emergency aid to the survivors in the literally broken land.

Here is the link, if you have been moved by this, and are feeling helpless as to what to do:

https://www.tearfund.org/Giving/Give+Now/Haiti+earthquake.htm

No comments: