Tuesday 19 January 2010

Exercise increases your brain size

A new study has shown that apparently aerobic exercise triggers new cell growth in the brain. This is quite a breakthrough study as previously it was thought that once brain cells deteriorate, they can never be replaced - as is the case with stroke victims. Or those who drink lots of booze.

This is interesting study and one which may encourage more people to exercise. As a nation whose waist lines are increasing, despite the consumption of less fat in our diets, this is much needed on the whole. And if we can improve our brain power at the same time, then more to the better.

This study caught my attention as I have been thinking this week about my own exercise regimes I have tried over the years. Not a lot in school. Some swimming at university and then various gym memberships and military fitness classes in my twenties. And as someone who is trying to suppress the growth of certain unwanted cells in my body too, it raises some interesting questions about exercise for me.

Whilst undoubtedly exercise is good for us, I do think we sometimes need to be careful. I spent many hours in my twenties on the treadmill or doing some sort of exercise either before or after work. At the time I thought I was helping my body. I took to heart the advice given to my generation. That the harder I worked out the more benefits I would receive. Looking back on it, working such long hours in a stressful office environment, I do wonder if sometimes I would have been kinder to my body to have done some relaxation, rather than stress myself out about how many workouts I had or hadn't managed in a particular week.

In the study above, scientists are thinking that the growth of grey matter may be linked to increased blood flow. They also think it may due to the higher levels of hormones that are released whilst exercising. And as I have experienced in an extreme case, hormones that are out of balance is not good news. We also need to watch the strain on their hearts. My father had a heart attack aged 54 whilst playing tennis on a cold evening after work. From which he fortunately made a complete recovery.

I'm not saying that my exercise regime of my twenties caused my cancer. Or that playing tennis on that cold night caused my father to have a heart attack. But it is possible that pushing ourselves to exercise more and more, MAY have been one factor of MANY, that put additional strain on the body.

I am currently doing a course studying about a deep stretching method and pilates. This exercise has helped me hugely to cope with my illness and have confidence that my body still works. I also really believe in the benefits of it so am not saying don't exercise. Just do it in a sensible way and listen to your own body.

I'm just reflecting in my own case I guess, doing lots of cardio work, when my body was tired from working so hard, whether increased cell division from exercise and surging hormone levels actually did me any favours. And I wonder what is the best advice for some like me now, who doesn't want increased blood flow to those bloomin nasties.

There is so much we don't know about our bodies. And research and recommendations are constantly changing. I think that it is important to exercise. But it's really important to look after ourselves too. And make sure there is also a time to rest and be kind to yourself. I will keep exercising as long as I can, but these days in a more gentle way. Swimming, walking, stretching, strengthening my core. And also getting lots of sleep and taking it easy when I need to too.

In the absence of any other advice for someone in my situation I will be grateful for the things I can still do with my body. I also just have hope that any cell division in my body caused by exercise is only of the positive sort.

No comments: