Friday 8 January 2010

Facebook Status Update Colours

It is the latest thing for Facebook users to do apparently. Well, only if you are female or a cross dressing male. Update your status by just posting the colour of the bra you are wearing. The reason - to raise "awareness" of breast cancer.

My immediate response to this is confusion. Confusion because I really don't see how posting the colour of your bra on the worldwide web is increasing awareness of the disease. Maybe if the point was that you have checked yourself then that would be better. But just blanket "awareness" seems to only serve to show how little people actually understand about what is helpful for both those who do and don't have breast cancer. And not considering how the people who do have breast cancer may feel about people letting everyone know what colour bra they are wearing as some sort of "support."

I think I'm also somewhat miffed as it is that classic ignorant frenzy to "make it pretty" and dare I say in this case, even "make it sexy." Please. Let me assure you that spending your days on cancer wards and dealing with the far reaching impact of this disease is anything but sexy. I actually find that pretty insulting.

If you do want to post the colour of the bra you are wearing on facebook then make it a statement that you have examined yourself for lumps or changes in your breasts. Properly. Or reach out to someone you know affected by this disease by dropping them a text or an card or something instead. Or even better donate a few pence or pounds into targeted research to find the longed for cure.

Think before you Pink.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jo -- thanks for this info -- I thought the colours were something to do with bl**dy Farmville! I agree that obscure references to bra colour won't do anything to help those of us struggling with elephants or encourage anyone to become more aware. Love, Marilyn xx

Jo Blogz said...

Hi Marilyn! Had me confused for a bit and then got cross when I realised what it was all about. May have to not look at FB - is annoying me!! Love Jo xx