Saturday 16 January 2010

Facebook status updates

I'm really tired and am meant to be going through my sample class for tomorrow with a cuppa in bed. Jonny is on his way back from a United victory (at last) in Manchester.

I have, however, just made a discovery that may just help to make my days a little better. You can filter your news feed on Facebook.

I like to use Facebook mainly to keep up with friends who are overseas. However, just logging on can sometimes really upset me, for various reasons. People don't always think when posting status updates or whatever, that some of their "friends" may not need to hear that. I know I am not alone in this. Whatever is going on in your life, if it hasn't gone the way you hoped, then logging on to check your emails can result in having to see, well, stuff. And this can happen at bad moments when you are feeling isolated enough as it is, without having to read about ..... [insert whatever it is that you don't need to hear]

Anyway. There is a way round this. You can go to your "friends list" and create a list. A list of whoevers updates you know won't upset you. Then on the home page you can just select to see the updates of those you have chosen to find out about.

Perfect. No need to ditch any "friends." But also a way to protect oneself from the less sensitive. Highly recommended to those who need to do this. Like I say, I know for a fact that I am not alone.

And no. I'm not telling you if you made it onto my "safe" list.

3 comments:

Mark said...

Hmm, interesting. But I still don't think I'm gonna make it onto the Book, even with impending travels. Blogging it remains, with a dash of Skype action.
: )

Jo Blogz said...

Blogs and skype avoid any of the things I am talking about. Nearly didn't publish this one anyway - as was more of a rant to self - and quite specific to stuff I struggle with in my situation. Grumpy blogger that day.
J
BTW bad news on the cake - I found some mould on it, didn't close the tin properly. You will probably want to pass after all...

Mark said...

Oh no, sadness.
Ah well, there's always airmail cake next year : )

Totally underdstand, FB is a minefield.

Have a grand day.