Thursday 8 October 2009

Weekend away (and clothes crisis)

We're off to Barcelona for the weekend. And I am now feeling rather excited. I wasn't very excited a few days ago, I was feeling far too tired to get excited about the prospect of getting on a plane, but I have had some better sleep and been a little less hectic so feeling more like it now.

I thought the packing thing was completely sorted. I was imagining pleasant sunny days, couple of pairs of jeans, a couple of tops for day and a sparkly something for the Saturday night. This was until I checked the weather forecast on the BBC earlier. Friday 25 degrees and rain. Saturday 26 degrees and drizzle, Sunday 25 degrees and sunshine. So - what capsule wardrobe can cover heat, rain and a bit of sunshine thrown in? Does this mean wellies and shorts? Sarah Jessica Parker may be able to pull that look off but I certainly can't! This was further complicated by the realisation that our flight leaves very early tomorrow morning so we need to leave the house at 5.30am. Now, it's a bit chilly in London these days. So, flip flops are going to be a little flimsy I think. Plus we don't get back til late on Sunday evening. So need warmth for that bit.

I started trying a few things on, only to come very quickly to the conclusion I often come to (weekend away or not) - I have nothing to wear. Hmm. Phone rings. Sister in law in Manchester has exactly the same problem, and it turns out we aren't doing dressy at all, as other sister in law not keen on that. Night time outfits also out the window. Also, I am under strict instructions that we are only taking hand luggage so I have to sort out all my toiletries and make up into bare minimum and small bottles as it is all going to be in clear plastic bag for all to see.

So, my afternoon turns into turning out half the wardrobe. I always look rubbish next to my super thin sisters in law anyway, and now I am going to look even worse. I can't even wear nice shoes as my feet hurt in anything without super soft bottoms because of my new meds.

Have settled on:
  • 1 pair skinny jeans
  • 1 pair leggings (wear on plane)
  • 1 pair knee length shorts
  • Couple of vest tops
  • 1 hoody type top
  • Shirt dress for one evening (with skinnys and wedge shoes)
  • Jersey dress for other evening (with skinnys and wedge shoes)
  • Another jersey dress for travel
  • Jumper for travel
  • Flip flops
  • Wedge shoes
  • Sandals
  • Tankini
  • Underwear and nightwear
  • Products ie make up

So, that basically means that for 2 nights away I am taking 3 dresses, 3 pairs of shoes (and maybe uggs for the plane too) various tops, jumpers etc - it's totally ridiculous but don't seem to be able to figure it out. Do I need to throw in a waterproof too? And I need my camera, my medications, and Trinny and Susannah say you should always put in a small clutch bag for the evenings too.

So, sorry to my 3 or so blog readers - I meant to email you this afternoon to say I'm off and will be in touch when I get back. I've failed due to wardrobe emergency. I'm sure you understand.

Hey ho, we need to leave the house in about 7 hours and Jonny is playing playstation in his den, and hasn't even thought about packing yet. It will probably take him all of 10 minutes and then I will get the standard complaints about my heavy bag. Boys have it so easy sometimes. And he doesn't need to worry about painting his toenails before he goes to bed tonight. Best get on. Will blog pictures and tales on my return. Si, estupendo!

No comments: