Thursday 1 October 2009

Wedding Anniversary - Brouge Restaurant Richmond

It was our third wedding anniversary yesterday. Anniversaries, birthdays and celebrations can be hard sometimes, bringing to the surface emotions of how life could have been or should have been. However, we had a really nice evening at this restaurant that was recommended by some our local friends, despite the fact when I meet Jon at Richmond station we both confess we are feeling rather tired. I love evenings that surprise you like that - where you end up actually having a really lovely time.

The only hitch in the evening really was that I managed to book the place by phone, without knowing exactly where it is. There was mild humorous grumpiness from my Jonny as we stood in the middle of Richmond, his blackberry not working, and neither of us being able to see the place, despite having walked up and down where I thought it was. Thoughts of "that's the end of that" came to mind. Should you ever find yourself in the same pickle - it is on the same side of the road as All Bar One, to the right of it as you look at it and downstairs. To be fair to me this place is a little hidden.

However, once inside it is clear it is popular - it is busy with locals. No sign of the credit crunch in here.

The drinks menu is extensive with a great selection of Belgian beers and french wines. They even have a champagne beer that takes our eye, but we pass on it and Jonny has a satisfying pre dinner lager and go for my predictable glass of fizz. If nothing else the beer menu is a great talking point - raspberry beer and banana beer are on offer for example and it gives good advice as to what courses or dishes these would be good with if you are up for being adventurous.

The Belgian menu is fab. The specials board has 3 starters, mains and puddings, which to be honest we would have been happy to eat any of. We both order from the specials for starters, Jonny has the prawn and avocado cocktail. I have the figs and goats cheese wrapped in parma ham with honey and balsamic dressing. These were delicious and we talk about how the retro prawn cocktail is making a come back and really it should never have gone out of fashion as it does exactly what a starter should really. Not fill you up, but get your taste buds going.

We both go for Moulles Frites for our mains. Jon from the specials again has one with smoked haddock chucked in, I go for the dairy free (yey!) lemongrass cooked in coconut cream variety. Huge portions - so delicious we pollish off the lot.

As for dessert. We really are too full. But as it is a celebratory dinner and are having fun we decide to go for it anyway. Jonny has a meringue and strawberry thing - I ask the kitchen to produce me a Belgian waffle with chocolate sauce and no ice cream - this is no bother at all and we end up eating most of them.

All in all I thought this place was great. We had nice wine, but not including drinks the bill came to £60 for 3 courses for both of us, and I think if we had eaten this food in town (say J Sheekey)it could have cost double that. And the service was attentive and helpful.

So we had a nice evening. Nothing too emotional and we stay on a level of just enjoying it for what it is. Best line of the night. I say to my husbund "So, what was your favourite part of our wedding day?" He looks worried, in a kind of "I'm really worried I am not going to get the right answer to this one, and I wasn't expecting that" kind of way. He pauses... "Er - Getting married?" I wasn't looking for anything deep, good job really, and that's a good enough response for me.

We don't do anniversary presents. Well, apart from last year, when I bought myself a mulberry wallet and told Jon it was my anniversary present from him, which he went a slightly funny colour at - he was thinking more along the lines of just a card I think - but given it was bought and in use, it was no time to quibble. We did get a lovely little something in the post from a friend though. How cute is this:



Biscuits in the shape of champagne and a lovely little message. How nice and thoughtful is that?

2 comments:

Lucia said...

This is great as we have often passed this restaurant and wondered what it was like. Thanks!

Jo Blogz said...

Go - it's great! xJ