Thursday 29 October 2009

Last Chance to See

We finally got around to watching the Stephen Fry programme on blue whales this week. Absolutely loved it. He basically did the very same route that we did earlier this year, around the peninsula of Baja California in Mexico. I think he may well have been there the same time as us as there was definitely a BBC crew filming in the Sea of Cortez when we were there. The programme is firmly on "Keep" on our sky plus box and think we will be buying it on DVD if it becomes available as it is such good footage of what we did and saw. From touching grey whales to watching breaching humpbacks and getting as emotional as Stephen Fry when you get to see blue whales, it brought back amazing memories. Blue whales are on average 100 ft long, and the largest mammal ever to live on our planet. Yes that's right - even bigger than the dinosaurs. To see these creatures in their natural environment, and one of such beauty, is a truly humbling and incredible experience.

During the programme he comments that a photograph of a blue whale fluke is like the holy grail of whale photography. Well Stephen, looking at my hard drive here I am spoilt for choice... but here are a couple of my best shots:



I know I am not about to win travel photographer of the year, our friend Jules has already done that, but I was pretty pleased with these. Here's praying it wasn't really my last chance to see, but I know I am truly blessed to have seen them at all. They really are amazing.

No comments: