Saturday 24 October 2009

Rain did not stop play

I woke up this morning and came downstairs to make the Saturday morning cuppa. Then I heard a sound that did not make me happy. Rain. Loudly splattering on the conservatory roof. Oh dear, I thought. I am taking care of my niece this weekend while her parents are at a wedding. Original plans involved the Lakeland, I mean Wetland, Centre in Barnes. Very rainy day not good.

Next I got a text from a friend asking if I wanted to walk in the park and have tea at Pembroke Lodge at 3. Perfect timing in terms of Maisie Moo sleeps. Not so fun in the rain.

They all arrived. Maisie had one word in her vocabulary that was repeated again and again. "Ducks." Hmm... in the rain.

10.30am decided to ditch the Lakeland/Wetland centre and walk to park. No rain, actually really pleasant. I tell you what though - I learnt that swans and ducks are bloomin scary. Seriously a swan pecked me on the butt! Mais was not remotely phased. I was really quite scared. Richmond Park looks truly beautiful at the moment though. The tree colours are stunning:


I returned to the park later in the day with my friends. No rain but sunshine and blue skies. Truly blessed with a lovely walk. And great cake at Pembroke Lodge. More amazing colours:



I remember when I first moved here just over 3 or so years ago. My then only local friend, who ironically has since left to move to Switzerland with her husband's job, warned me that if you live here you can come over all "smug Sheen." Today was one of those days where you can see what she meant. It is amazing to have this stunning open space at the end of our road. And all the better to have great local friends and a cutie special niece to enjoy it with. Here she is enjoying it herself with "jumping!"


Sorry couldn't get it to turn the other way round. Auntie indulgence to post on my blog none the less. I am sure I will feel less "smug Sheen" when she doesn't register that the clocks go back an hour tonight and we are all supposed to be treated to an extra hours sleep.....

2 comments:

Jo Blogz said...

Yes early start here... already watched 3 episodes of Charlie and Lola and it is not even 7am.. all good fun though x J

family affairs said...

Early start for me too as sleeping on parents sofa....too old for that. Lovely photos and glad you got to Wetlands. Yes, park looks lovely but looking forward to checking out Kew next! Lx