Thursday 22 October 2009

We are a bit fed up of chicken

So, economy gastronomy update. Firstly, we have eaten a lot of chicken. In fact, except for beef and mash at the pub quiz on Monday and breakfasts, I have eaten chicken for every meal this week. I'm sat here forcing down some reheated chicken and rice from last night for my late lunch. It's not that it doesn't taste nice, it's just a bit like that Christmas turkey feeling where you are a bit fed up with it. From my roast chicken on Sunday we have had:

  1. Roast dinner for 2 on Sunday


  2. 3 lots of chicken stock (1 still in freezer)


  3. 1 Large chicken pie, serves 4 -6 portions - using 1 portion of the chicken stock


  4. 1 small chicken pie for friend


  5. 3 portions of chicken and ham salads


  6. 4 portions chicken and rice - using 1 portion of the chicken stock

So, what's left? Well apart from the rest of the pie and the bones from the stock that have gone in the food recycling, I still have the jar of fat left from the roast chicken pan, which Jon is keen I make the pate with. I am less so as it involves frying up chicken livers and pork belly etc and sounds like a recipe for a heart attack... although I do like a pate I don't think I have ever made one myself. That being said I do have vague memories of making a mushroom pate for beef wellington a couple of new years eves ago.

But anyway, quick debrief on recipes:

Chicken Pie with sweetcorn, mushrooms and tarragon

Here is what's left:


Really easy to assemble with your left over chicken. Makes tonnes. Not hard to get a really full pie. Served with left over boiled potatoes mashed up and green beans as recommended in book. Got a big thumbs up from my friends husband who ate the extra little pie I made. Jonny "liked it."

Azzoz Con Pollo

This is basically chicken and rice. Here is what is left that I am eating for my lunch right now:


Tasty and easy. I think you would have to have some interest in food to have the mix of spices to hand in your store cupboard to not have to go out and get cumin seed or smoked paprika for example. I found I didn't need to go and get anything extra and just substituted the tomatoes for a tin of olives and used chili flakes rather than a fresh chili. Despite initial grump that "IT HAS PEAS IN IT" Jonny polished off the lot and had seconds. I added pine nuts as a garnish. I am struggling to force this down for my lunch though. Think I may just be really fed up with chicken. I think when there are just a little family of 2 like us, then the trick to this approach is to cut up your pie and put it in the freezer. That way we would have maybe been able to break up the next weeks multiple recipes with braised beef.

I was about to write thank goodness I am will be eating something different for my tea tonight as I do my weekly cook off for Alpha. Then I remembered it is chicken fajitas tonight. Darn. The JC's are definitely having Friday fish tomorrow. Bring it on.

2 comments:

the bans said...

I'm SO jealous of all your chicken eating (and beef for that matter too). The novelty of my veggie housemate is wearing thin - am sick to death of salmon and tofu and am seriously craving a big steak. PS. Did you make your own pastry for that pie? Very impressed if you did. Off to buy some frozen packet stuff in effort to make tonight's salmon dinner slightly more exciting. xxx

Jo Blogz said...

Puff pastry should only ever be bought in my book. I will be making my own for the beef patties next week though - shortcrust is different! If I could send you some chicken to Vancouver, believe me I would!! xx