Wednesday 7 October 2009

An Inspector Calls review

I went to see this play last night with Jonny. I really didn't know very much about it. I guess it's one of those plays that I really should have read if I want to sound vaguely intelligent at dinner parties, but the truth is I never have. Jon was keen, and I struggle to get him to go to the theatre with me as he doesn't like musicals, so thought I would take the chance. It has had great reviews, but wasn't sure if it was going to be one of those plays I should make educated comment on, but would actually be slightly bored.

Well it really was great. The script itself was really good, but would have been nothing without the really very powerful acting. Nicholas Woodeson makes for a strong and engaging Inspector Goole and my other favourites were Sandra Duncan as Mrs Birling and Marianne Oldham as her daughter Sheila. The quick moving dialogue between the six actors makes for a totally engaging, entertaining and moving drama that has you hooked from start to finish.

I also thought the set was really well constructed, and the use of lighting and special effects enhanced the atmosphere rather than detracting from it.

When we were shown to our seats, the steward was very keen to point out to us where the loos were, and that this was a 2 hour play with no interval. I thought I would find it tough to sit through a 2 hour play with no break but that really was no problem at all. The time flew by.

So, in summary, believe the reviews. It's a great production and only on in the the West End until 15 November so if you can find time to go, I would definitely would.

The only negative I can say about it is that unfortunately it turns out that An Inspector Calls is a GCSE script this year. So the theatre is slightly overtaken with teenagers who are obviously on a school trip. I thought they may be a problem, but were obviously as taken with it as everyone else and no bother at all. Don't let that put you off.

No comments: