Wednesday 24 March 2010

Snug as a Bug

I have had a very restless night. There have been digestive problems that don't need any more said about them. But also a general restlessness which tends to kick in around this time in my chemo cycle.

It is VERY frustrating. My body clearly needs sleep. It has just undergone a chemical onslaught (again.) And my cell counts will be hitting their low so really what I didn't need was to spend last night in between the bathroom and tossing and turning all night in bed.

Some very good friends of ours renamed their spare room the "snug as a bug" room. And after a couple of hours of this frustration last night, this is where I relocated myself too. My Jonny was none the wiser, fast asleep (snoring,) and no point us both suffering this. Besides which makes me feel even worse about the whole thing if he is even more tired than usual for his stupid o'clock early starts.

Our "snug as a bug" room got redecorated a few months ago. We sometimes think of it as the unnecessary part of the house. Up in the loft conversion and only really used when people come to stay and for storage. However in recent months there have been various illness reasons (understatement?!) which mean being banished to the "snug as a bug" room have been necessary.

It's all in the name you see. Call it the spare room and you feel like a spare part. Call it "snug as a bug," and it feels almost like a treat. Today I am off to spend time in my friends "snug as a bug" room just for a change of scene. I am not going there to be spare or invalid you see, but to be snug.

4 comments:

Jen Walshaw said...

I love this idea, you are so so right, a lot is in perspective and well donw for remaining on track

Jo Blogz said...

All houses should have a snug as a bug space I think. Could be more of a challenge in summer months - am thinking hammock in garden (if only hey!!)

the bans said...

Fond memories of your snug in a bug room. One of my favourite reasons for coming to London! :)

Anonymous said...

You always turn a negative into a positive. I think I was being a bit mean by renaming the spare room the 'snug as a bug' - I couldn't cope with the snoring and smell (!) of a drunken Edwards on a Friday night. Your 'snug as a bug' is entirely more positive and sounds lovely.

ps I had sardines on toast for tea tonight. I was based on your recommendation and was really yummy. Kx