Monday 7 December 2009

Yoga class and adjustments

I finished my 6 week yoga course this morning. It has been really good for me to do this on Monday mornings, and I feel I have progressed.

The teacher kindly offered to stay behind this week to help my friend and I learn more about how to adjust people when teaching. This means both getting them into the right position and helping them to get more out of a particular posture or stretch.

This is an area of my course that I think I am going to need to practice and get feedback on as I am learning, as I have never done this before.

The main points I took away from our session were around:
  • Repositioning someone on the breath
  • Being firm but not too hard or soft
  • Getting oneself into the right position to adjust, helps both you and the person you are assisting
  • Giving people ownership of their own bodies
  • When applying pressure, press down and not in
  • Move in and get close

We practiced some adjustments. And I could see how through a well supported adjustment you can get much more out of a stretch. I am going to be covering more of this on my course I hope, but this was a really helpful time and a great opportunity to learn from people who have been teaching for some time.

2 comments:

family affairs said...

Yes, was a very good session and I learnt a lot L x

Jo Blogz said...

Yes and you put it into practice this morning - well done you xx