Sunday 6 December 2009

The Masked Ball

Last night we went to the Masked Ball. The event was to celebrate the 40th birthdays of one of Jonny's football friend and his wife. I found myself in the slightly strange position of not knowing either of the hosts and yet being invited. The theme was Masked Ball - White Tie for boys, and Moulin Rouge/sluts for girls. Ahem. Bit of a challenge when you don't know the hosts and only know a couple of others going. As usual, easy for the boys. Jonny ordered a white tie suit to hire from Moss Bross. Mine was a slightly harder challenge. I ended up wearing the Burgundy Bridesmaids dress and a fur borrowed from my sister. Adding the masks we bought off the internet, this is what the JC's came up with:


But enough about us. This was someone else's bash after all. And what a do. I was amazed by the marquee - fully draped in purple velvet, with candlesticks and huge flower arrangements. The most amazing thing on arrival was the champagne table. The masked lady was inside the table to hand us our drinks:

There were magicians, a live snake, a fire eating belly dancer. The drinks and canapes were free flowing. The hosts changed their costumes about 4 times in the evening. Some had hired the most amazing moulin rouge outfits. Lots of feather bowers, push up corsets and fish net tights. So even though we didn't know that many people, there was lots of people watching to be done.

I was worried about whether I would have enough energy for the evening. But I did keep going and had a fun evening. There was a slightly worrying moment when we couldn't locate our taxi driver at about 2am this morning... he had fallen asleep whilst waiting for us. Falling asleep in a marquee in Bucks was not really in the plan. Instead we found him and I snoozed in the cab all the way home. I made it to bed about 3.30am this morning. Now that really doesn't happen very often for me. What crazy kids we are.

PS. Couldn't resist posting a picture of the very pretty fairy cakes. Yum.


1 comment: