Wednesday 23 December 2009

Arrived in East Jerusalem

Today started early. 5.15am is early for me. Our road was icey and snowy when we left at 6am.

As we arrived at Heathrow there was much freezing fog and it didn't look like good flying conditions at all. We were there at least.

Security provided a slight hitch and meant that one of the beautifully wrapped gifts for Kate had to be unwrapped by me. Stupidly I had forgotten that I had included a full size rose hand cream in the box. Still, at least we now know those scanning machines work.

They then had to defrost the plane:

After a slight delay our flight finally departed and we were bound for Israel at last. As our plane took off I had a real peace about going away and after days of stressing over flights, excitement kicked in.

As we pass through security in a very warm Tel Aviv airport I get more excited. The smiling face of John Edwards the other side of the barrier brings enormous smiles to ours. We are here. Away for a special Christmas with our friends.

The drive from Tel Aviv to East Jerusalem takes about 45 minutes. This is now the third time we have visited here and the drive is getting familiar. I am still stunned by the enormous wall that divides this part of Jerusalem. I love this place though. There are pot holes in the roads, there are refugees and rubbish in the streets. This is a city where different religions, history and politics meet. It is so different from home yet there is a real warmth to the place that I struggle to put into words.

As we enter Kate and Johns home here, joy abounds. The house looks truly beautiful and full of Christmas.





We eat well and watch a stardust the movie. We laugh and relax. I feel very privalaged to be in this home, in this place, and with these people for Christmas time.

We have a schedule for tomorrow. Two trips to Bethlehem. A mouch around the Old City. And to Jonnys alarm there is talk of 3 church services. One at Shepherds field, midnight at St Georges and possibly one at St Annes too - which is the most stunning and simple church I have visited here. Oh and jewellery shopping if I am lucky.

1 comment:

Mark said...

Brilliant, so very glad you've made it.
Have a wonderful wonderful time.
Thanks for the e-card.
Happy Christmas
M : )