Sunday 13 December 2009

Strictly Come Dancing / X Factor et al

Saturday night TV has become something of a guilty pleasure of mine. I have no guilt about Strictly. It's a fab show. I love the dancing. I love the sparkle. I just really love it.

The X factor, however, I have grown tired of. I watched "Popstars" years ago, back in the day when "Hear'say" were famous for about 2 months. I've occasionally got hooked in the last few episodes, mainly when there is some one really talented, like Leona Lewis. Some years have been awful though. What's happened to Shane Ward? I'm struggling to remember the name of the Scottish lass who won a few years ago. The only time I ever saw her again was on Gillian McKeith diet special.

So this year I was not going to bother at all. And then we went to stay with my sister-in-law and family in Manchester a few weeks back. At the time they were quite in to it so we watched it with them. Sure enough I seem to have found myself lured into wondering who is going to get eliminated each week. To the extent that - and this is the embarrassing bit - I have a series link on the Sky plus box.

I was out last night so didn't watch with the Strictly Semi Final or X factor first half of the final live. Home alone after Beth's birthday quiz I fast forwarded through the most of the X factor. And Stacey went out. No big surprise. I didn't think much of Robbies performance. I most enjoyed Joe singing with George Michael. The problem with bringing out stars in that way is it exposes how good the actual stars are. And the fact the contestants aren't as good as them. Anyway. Tonight it is between Olly and Joe. I think Joe will probably win. And as it is a singing competition this seems fair as he has the better voice.

I saved Strictly for this morning. Amazing dancing. I loved Ricky's Argentinian Tango. Ali and Brian were magical in their American Smooth. And Chris and Ola clearly have the public vote. However the fact is Ali and Brian were better at dancing than Chris and Ola. In my opinion they should have gone through. Ricky Whittle should definitely win the final in my opinion.

So there we are. My guilty pleasure laid bare. What will I do in January? Dancing on Ice is rubbish and a poor substitute. I need something otherwise it will be Match of the Day and Sky Sports 1 all weekend.

Oh dear. Sounds like Britain's Got Talent may start getting my viewing. Yikes.

No comments: