Tuesday 29 December 2009

Up North

After a couple of days, flying back from Israel for an overnight pit stop at home, and then a long drive "up North" yesterday, I am now relaxing at my in laws home.

"Up North, " I am well aware, is a general term that silly southerners like myself use to describle anywhere... well...north. I think it can wind people up. There is no intention to I promise. It is my lack of knowledge of Northern England. That, and coming from a family of Londoners.

Anyway, my exact northern location is Utkinton. Which is a village, near the village of Tarporley. Which is, I guess, about 10-15 miles from Chester. From here, on a clear day, you can see out to the Welsh moutains. It really is a beautiful part of the country.

We went for a long walk this morning. It was pretty icey and cold but I was glad to get some fresh air.

I have been reflecting a little on New Years resolutions. It feels a little odd, given the elephant, that I should feel like having New Years resolutions. But time out is always a time to reflect. Despite the elephant, it is still that time of year that you think about those things. And like most of Britain, I am feeling I have eaten too much and so am craving some healthly routine and right now some sort of January detox seems like a good idea.

However, aside from the obvious food related resolutions, this is also a time to reflect on any other changes I want to make. I am trying to work within the boundaries of controlling the controllables - which is something of a joke when the elephant rears its head, and it seems I can control nothing. Still so far:
  • Jo rest time between 1-3 each day. If a sleep happens, great. If I just read a book, so be it.
  • No sugar. No alchohol (hmm - think of your liver girl)
  • More vegetables, fruit etc
  • Less carbs in evening
  • January - March - need to focus on my course - esp. dissertation.
  • Buy new carpets
  • Only look at facebook to pick up emails
  • Ditch farmville
  • Walk more - get back to the park
  • Read more of stuff that is helpful to me
  • Prioritise in no particular order: family, friendships, faith, fun.
  • Investigate new charity money raising stuff
  • Sew stuff
  • Learn to knit - good for hospital
  • Less caffiene

This list is TBC. Qwirkle to be played.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yes do learn to knit Jo..there are some beautiful yarns and lots of free patterns and advice on the net. Resolutions..I am going to up my walking too..have been advised it's good for those of us with elephants..and I was actually planning to make sure I do drink alcohol on my chemo free week. Have a lovely time up north..Belinda..x

Jo Blogz said...

Am not too sure how long my no alchohol will last but will try for a bit! Knitting is more portable than the sewing machine so really should try it. Also like the CK knitting bag! Xj

family affairs said...

Farmville!! I hadn't realised you were a COMPLETE addict Lx

Jo Blogz said...

I know it's bad!! Fear not - I've ditched it!! xx