Monday 7 December 2009

Cranberry Sauce Recipe

I'm hosting the Christmas lunch for the my side of the family next weekend. We are celebrating as a family the weekend before Christmas, as some of us will be away. I have started planning. And I have started cooking. I am making as much as possible myself. Any excuse to cook. Although I love to cook, I am also a very big fan of doing ahead so decided to start putting a few things in the freezer ready. First up was cranberry sauce.

I have seen some recipes suggesting adding orange peel, but I had satsumas and decided to put in the juice too, as an alternative to additional water and to make it even more Christmassy tasting.

Ingredients:

300g Cranberries
4 Satsumas and their juice
Splash of water from the kettle
Splash of brandy (shhh...)
3 tablespoons of sugar/sugar alternative

Put all of the ingredients except for the sugar in a heavy based pan. Boil up for about 5 minutes until the cranberries start to pop. Push down with a wooden spoon to make a sauce consistency. I don't overdo the squashing as I want this to look like I made it. Add sugar to taste. This is to take of the sharpness of the stewed cranberries. Leave to cool. Whack in freezer and then defrost and warm through when needed.

This is clearly not for those who don't agree with fruit and savory combinations, like the other JC. But personally I like a large spoonful of cranberry sauce with my Christmas lunch and am looking forward to this one already.

No comments: