Sunday 20 December 2009

Christmas Day: Take 1

I've just had a lovely Christmas Day. I know it isn't actually December 25th today, but as we are away for Christmas this year, my side of the family celebrated today.

As we were hosting, there was a big emphasis on planning the menu:

Starter: Smoked Salmon platter (courtesy of Sarah and Jon) with Dates stuffed with cheese wrapped in pancetta.

Mains: Roast Turkey crown, Fully festive Ham, Pigs in Blankets, Roast Potatoes, Roast Parsnips, Gingerbread Stuffing, Sprouts, Carrots, Bread Sauce, Cranberry Sauce, Gravy.

Afters: Bouche de Noel, Jelly (courtesy of Mum,) Ice Cream (courtesy of Green and Blacks)

I started preparing 2 days ago. Nigella provided the instructions for most of it, she rarely lets me down and the first section of the Feast book was the source of guidance for most of the mains.

The Ham is my traditional thing to make at Christmas. I have never cooked a turkey before though so followed her method of soaking it in water with lots of spices, which apparently guarantees that it will not dry out. It didn't. The Gingerbread stuffing was also a new one for us. It was recommended by a friend. Jonny didn't like it but everyone else did.

After our night out last night I was a little weary this morning and there were quite a few dishes on the go. Fortunately we had prepared a lot in advance and brainy Jonny provided me with a timing schedule. It was still a bit hectic when we all sat down but everyone ate well.

Maisie had little / no interest in her sleep today. So was a little over excited. We opened all our presents around the tree after lunch, the way we always do, and the biggest hit with Maisie was her Peppa Pig umbrella. We all got lots of nice things.

I sit here rather tired this evening, despite the assistance of lots of hands to wash and wipe and a dishwasher. I have that content Christmas feeling though. Grateful for a lovely day. Grateful for family. Just grateful for today. Christmas day: Take 1.

No comments: