Friday 4 December 2009

Anish Kapoor Exhibition at the Royal Acadamy

I woke earlier to a beautiful morning. Gone was the rain and the wind. There was stunning blue skies and sunshine. I still feel very tired, but as part of my weeks survival tactics I had arranged to visit this exhibition with my sister today. A friend had told me very good things about it and encouraged me to go. I was curious. I'll be honest I knew very little about what it was going to be like.

Well it was amazing. All sorts of incredible sculptures. I've never seen anything like it. The guy had literally taken over some of the rooms and transformed them with enormous splatters of wax, sculptures projecting out of the walls and enormous magic mirror type pieces. I have never visited an exhibition quite like this one, in that you literally felt like it was made for the space. Maybe it was. Our favourite was an enormous, and I mean enormous, yellow cocoon in the wall that had an incredible impact on you.

There was strictly no photos inside, but we did take this one of the magic balls outside, which gives you a taste.

Afterwards we wandered back to Piccadilly station and popped into Fortnum and Mason. They have done this place up. It was packed. It was, however, a feast of beautifully packaged and exquisite chocolates and other sweet treats. We sampled one or two things. It would be rude not to. It was good to spend some time talking and catching up. We adore my niece, but some grown up time is sometimes needed. There were a few people out and about in town this morning who could do with some growing up themselves. A couple who would not obey the steward in the exhibition and insist on going where they were not allowed. An extremely grumpy lady in F&M moaning that she couldn't get near the confectionery counter as there were too many people - hmm it is 3 weeks before Christmas you know. And a crazy lady on the train home who was offering to marry complete strangers if they didn't use plastic bags. Ahem.

Then back to Clapham Junction for Eggs Benedict and now I am in the middle of an afternoon of pampering. The masked ball tomorrow evening, along with the ditching of the peachy pills that hurt my feet, has fully justified a spa pedicure I think. Girl logic.

No comments: