Friday 11 December 2009

Christmas Party Wardrobe Crisis

I have Christmas drinks this evening at Jonny's boss's house. They are really lovely people and I am happy to go along it's just that...

... I never know what to wear or what to say at these things. I know the safe option for these things is black. I just look like a ghost in too much black. I shared this with my friend earlier in the week who then let me raid her walk-in wardrobe that is full of lots of beautiful things. I had serious wardrobe envy. BUT this just about saved the day as I now have 3 possible dresses, different shades of tights, 1 pair of boots and 1 possible pair of shoes and it has to be a combination of these.

So that is clothes sorted. I just need to find my voice. Seriously I sound like an ancient croaky lady right now. I have had a sore throat all week and now my voice has gone really funny and it is a bit of a strain to talk.

Maybe I should wear a sign saying I have lost my voice and then I won't need to stress about what to say either.

Not sure that is going to work and I really should have spent more time reading the financial section of the paper the last couple of days so I can keep up on any intelligent chat about current affairs such as Alistair Darling trying to destroy the service sector 20 years after the Tories destroyed the country's manufacturing base. Or the Nobel peace prize going to Barack Obama before he has done much. Instead I think I may need to seek out another WAG and talk about the X factor or Strictly Come Dancing. I wish I had more brain cells.

UPDATE:

Had a lovely evening. Was suitably dressed in a sparkly enough outfit and was good to put names to faces. Beautiful home, free flowing champagne and very nice canapes made for a really nice time. Turns out if I talk cooking and pilates I can get myself through a social evening like this too. No reading of the FT needed. Either that or it is blindingly obvious that I am just not that intelligent. (I'm a qualified Chartered Accountant actually, but just not a very clever one.)

No comments: