Friday 25 December 2009

Midnight mass at St Georges

We ate extremely well yesterday evening. After a quiz that I did in fact WIN due my expert knowledge of bananarama tracks and 1980's tv theme tunes. This is the first time ever that I think I have beaten Jonny at a quiz. Anyway we had a feast. Sanna, who is Finnish, is also here for Christmas. In Finland the big day is Chrismas Eve so we didn't want her to miss out:

We also presented our secret Santa gifts last night. Kate seemed to genuinely like her Star and Bucks tacky mug and olive wood camel:

I was very touched by a beautiful olive leave pendant which represents steadfastness. It moved me. Jonny got a "visit palestine poster." Sanna got a lovely pendant. But John did the best. The revolving lamp is quite possibly the tackiest thing I have ever seen. Hilarious.


Anyway Kate and John and I walked to st Georges, full of pink champagne:


It was a beautiful service. I don't really like "high" but somehow this seemed special. It was the same sermon as earlier by the same Bishop. But the singing was amazing. Helped massively by the presence of Clare College Cambridge choir in the congregation. Silent night by candlelight has never felt so Christmassy. This is the candle for my BBBs.
I think today is going to be all about the food. The turkey is huge. So huge it literally fills the oven:


There are so many things about living in the UK that we take for granted. Like Waitrose. Kate had to order this turkey from the only Christian butchers in Bethlehem. And a whole load of Christmas food in from the UK. You just can't get the range of food we are so used to here. But as most of Jerusalem is still open for business as usual we can always pop out if we have forgotten anything.
Christmas blessings to everyone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Jo..Belinda..x

Jo Blogz said...

Was special belinda x