Friday 4 December 2009

Friends

Our friend with whom we are spending Christmas (and his lovely wife), was in London for a few days this week, so was with us for a couple of nights. This was very timely as meant we lifted our spirits and we had much laughter in the evenings. He turned up looking like a drowned rat on Wednesday, having missed our train station and then got caught in heavy rain. He continued this look on Thursday. When I came back from visiting a friend he had just been for a run in the park. In the rain. Very muddy indeed. I love spending time with true friends where you can just totally be yourselves with. And you can spend a large amount of time over dinner debating what really was the greatest Take That song of all time. And the merits of whisky. Even if like me you don't actually like whisky. He has an important day job you know. But I find when I am with real friends, the day job doesn't really matter that much at all.

I've also had nice cups of tea this week with friends. One of which has become such a good friend that she cut short our cuppa and sent me home yesterday. Because she could see how tired I was. She was right. I fell asleep as soon as I got home.

It's funny how some people have come in and out of my life. Some know my needs more than me. Some have drifted away and others have appeared. Some have been constant. I know I am very blessed with the people in my life right now. Friends and family. Those who see past the elephant but don't ignore it. Who still see me as me. And who I trust want to spend time with me and me with them. True friendship is a wonderful gift.

2 comments:

the bans said...

You are right, it is a gift, and am truly grateful for the gift of your friendship which transcends the millions of miles that are between us. Looking forward to experiencing that Crossfield hospitality soon. My vote for best Take That song will be "Ne-eh-ver Forget". Ah, many Tiffin girls memories attached to that one. xx

Jo Blogz said...

And I am so grateful for your frienship!! Can't wait to see you in January. We narrowed down the Take That best song to Never forget, Back for Good and the one from Stardust. We listened to quite a few to come to that conclusion!! xxx