Friday 12 February 2010

What a night (and Meeting HRH)

Wow. What a night. Cannot believe it. Cannot believe the course of the week. For days I am firmly in chemo land, literally unable to move at times, and then last night I was in a different place.

Ah. Where to start.

The Event. The Anna Valentine Fashion Show in aid of Maggies Cancer Centres. Anna Valentine is an amazing designer who famously dressed HRH The Duchess of Cornwall for her wedding to Prince Charles.

The location. The Royal Courts of Justice, London. LOVE places like this. LOVE this about London. They are so old and so magnificent. Incredible building.

Why am I there? My lovely friend Lucy is an old friend of Anna Valentines. She has been on the committee for organising this event for months. I have been invited to attend like lots of her other friends and committed to go ages ago.

Obviously this week has been so hard it had been very doubtful at times whether I would be able to make it. But I did. And yesterday lunchtime Lucy tells me it is good I am coming because I am her plus one as one of the very specially selected people to meet and greet HRH The Duchess of Cornwall (yes Camilla) herself at the evening. What?!! I know. I know.

So we arrive. I feel like a different person in heels and my black dress. I loose a false nail before we even get to the venue but hope no one will notice. The place looks amazing. There is much re event stress going on - the amount of organisation that has gone into this is incredible.

We head to the drinks reception. I have a glass of champagne. The girl who could only manage ice cubes two days earlier is sipping a glass of fizz and has an enormous smile on her face. All the food is prepared my famous chef Tom Aitken. I like the canapes but don't have many as am too scared it may all ooze down my front before I meet HRH.

We are told that at 7.10 to stand in a particular spot and HRH will come and meet us. It is really crazy busy in there so we are moved to a slightly quieter area. The Hello! photographers are told to make sure they get pictures of us talking to Camilla. Loads of people are now looking at us like we are VIPs ourselves because we are clearly next to meet her.

We have practiced our curtsy's. Apparently the official line we are to say is "It is very nice to meet you your Royal Highness." We are both giggling and think we are going to totally mess that entire thing up. As I am stood there about to meet her I say to Lucy "This is so nuts. I haven't even told my neighbours I have cancer, and now I think I am about to tell the wife of the heir to the throne!"

Camilla is brought over to us. We are introduced. We do some attempt at our curtsy and our line. But Camilla is really down to earth and isn't waiting for us to make sure we do it all right. We talk for probably about 5 minutes or so before she is moved on. We talk about Maggies. We talk about Anna Valentine. We say I have not been well all week and how pleased we are I made it. Camilla smiles and looks at the glass of champagne in my hand and tells me how good it is I am having a glass of that. During that time there are official photographers taking photo's of the moment. And then she is moved on.

And then we move on to talk to..... Rupert Everett and Janet Ellis. Rupert Everett has enormous nostrils. Seriously gigantic. Lucy tries all the shots to get him to laugh at her jokes. I think he must have been nervous about his speech. I get chatting to Janet Ellis. She is SO lovely. It is like a happy childhood moment talking to the Blue Peter presenter of my youth. We talk about her kids. We talk about Maggies. We talk about my week. She is so surprised because last night I looked really well. We start talking about hair and wigs. She knows this amazing wig cutter who apparently will restyle my beautiful Parisian real hair wig for me and make it even better. She says to make sure I give her my phone number during the evening. I feel like she is my new friend!

We then head down for the Event itself. Janet's speech is fabulous. It doesn't make me upset at all. I just agree with every word. Then the show starts.

The models all stick their hips forward and slouch back as they walk. The clothes are beautiful. Truly stunning. Wish I had some of them. The fabrics just float and hang in a way that oozes chic and quality and style.

Then we have some more Tom Aitken food and, yes, I have another glass of champagne. It's the real stuff and tastes fantastic. There is an auction for prizes as well as a silent auction for loads of stuff people have donated. The biggest single amount raised I think was £22,000 for a 2 week holiday in the Seychelles. Sadie Frosts boyfriends band play. We have much debate because no one can remember his name. Scott something. I have no photo's as we were not allowed to take cameras to the evening. But am so hoping to be able to get some of the official ones that the Hello! photographer took. I think I should be able to and then will scan some in and post them.

It gets to nearly 10 and my body starts to give in. I start to feel I am struggling a little to sit in the chair. The event officially ends at 10.30 so decide I must go. I exchange smiles with Lulu Guinness. In true Jo style I have lost my coat tag so cause problems at the cloakroom looking for a black size 8 Karen Millen Coat..... but it is found.

I squeeze my lovely friend Lucy unable to say words of what a fairy tale night it has been. Dare I say it, the sweet is sweeter, given the days before. I step out onto the Strand, get straight into a black cab and am home in bed about half an hour.

As my head touches the pillow I smile. And am grateful for this night. The philosophy of Maggies is not to allow the fear of dying to stop the joy of living. And tonight I had joy living.

http://www.maggiescentres.org/maggies/maggiescentres/home/home.html

7 comments:

Lizzie said...

Wow. Jo... what an amazing night. Good to read all about it. And such a great cause. How are you feeling today? x

Jo Blogz said...

Hey Lizzie. yes all quite surreal really!
Am doing ok. Tired but ok.
see you at weekend xx

Unknown said...

What a fantastic evening.

Marilyn said...

Dear Jo -- what a wonderful night, and I so appreciate the Maggie's Centre philosophy -- will have to remember this when I'm next feeling not so good. Love to you - Marilyn x

Jo Blogz said...

I like the philosophy a lot too Marilyn. Sometimes hard to find.

Was a great evening

Love Jo x

Mark said...

Fantastic, so pleased you got to be the belle of the ball for a night. What marvellous fun.
Who'd have thought the nostrils would be his most noticeable feature. : )
So glad you got a chance be totally you, totally glam, and totally honest. Amen.

Two more sleeps to go before jetaway. : )

: )

Jo Blogz said...

Safe flight Mark

xJ