Monday 22 February 2010

Rubbish Day

We all have bad days from time to time. I had one today. I don't want any sympathy. I have enough of that. This is my blog and am just writing down that I have had a rubbish day.

I knew I was going to be in a funny mood. It is five years today since my surgeon delivered the news to me that I had breast cancer in the Royal Marsden in Sutton. I was just 27 years old at the time. And I felt like my whole world had shattered into pieces. Today I enter the statistics as someone who has "survived" breast cancer for five years. This is not what survival was meant to look like.

I don't feel very well at all at the moment. At all. I spent a good few hours at the hospital this afternoon having various blood tests, injections and my consultation. You can loose hours and hours in that hospital. I am very grateful for the care I receive. It's just hard to sit there for hours when you feel so rubbish anyway. Then I had to wait 45 minutes for a prescription that they didn't have and ended up like some sort of lost soul in Boots at Fulham Broadway trying to buy Gaviscon.

I collapsed when I got home. Fell asleep. Again. But then things got better when my lovely friend brought our tea round for us. And now Jonny is home. More chemo on Thursday. I so know I need it. It's not nice feeling ill like this. Or having rubbish days.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

What was your nice tea (and have you been hanging around with Jonny so much that tea means dinner or does it really mean tea. As in tea and cake)? Massey cooked me a lovely sweet potato with cheese and beans. When I was small I never liked sweet potato. I thought the taste was too strong. Now I love the stuff. I sometimes look back at some of the food that I didn't have when I was small and think of what a waste it was to have developed a proper palate much later. Like when I was in Japan on the World Scout Jamboree in 1991 and they got out a world famous sushi chef and we all thought it was disgusting. Kate and I will be thinking of you later in the week. I'll ping Jonny an email and see if he wants to meet up for a bit. I could come and meet him near to you so that he's within hailing distance. I'll sort it out with him one way or t'other. Nice to see Manchester United won the other night. Hope that Jonny got to see it. Chester City about to be bought by some Danish people. Why on earth would they want to do that? Is there anything from this neck of the woods that you'd like me to bring back for you? Saw the Archbishop of Canterbury on Sunday night. Went to evensong at St George's (where we went for midnight mass). I was hoping he'd speak but he just sat at the front. But we did get to sing "Tell Out My Soul" which I like. I think we had it at our wedding (Massey confirms that we did). Off to bed. The word verification for your blog is odd. It's always one letter away from being a proper word. Today it's Pringu. Almost like the penguin. Forgive the meandering. Late night and spent most of the day in a prison yard in the blazing sun with a fat Spaniard called Pablo who wears psychedelic blue glasses and a vegan anarchist called Yonatan. Don't ask. No need to reply to this. Kate and I love you lots. John.

the bans said...

Just to let you know that I am reading this, thinking of you, praying and all that. and if you need any anne philosophy there is an entire page here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088727/quotes

lots of love xxx

Jo Blogz said...

John - so glad you are meeting up with Jonny at the weekend. And I am gutted I only discovered sushi later in life too.

Beck - I have had some of the best sushi ever with you! Am going to get on to that Anne philosophy right now.

The thing with rubbish days is they do pass, thankfully.