Thursday 10 September 2009

Vancouver Trip

Haven't posted on my blog in an age but have considered it many a time. Always unsure as to how much of my heart I will bear on line - how much detail about my illness I will share, and how much I will regret saying things. However, at 3 am this morning as I lay wide awake due to jetlag from my flight back from Vancouver, I decided there are actually things it may help me to write down at the very least - and some of them very good experiences - so thought I would give it a go again.

So, I start with something amazing. My trip to Vancouver from which I have just returned. This is my second visit to Vancouver and it was a timely and wonderful time. Vancouver is a great city. It has beaches, it has mountains, it has the most amazing sushi I have ever tasted and it is home to one of my oldest and most faithful friends Becky and her lovely hubby Nick. Beck and I were great buddies through sixth form. We shared faith, friendship and fruit pastilles. Since we left school we have not lived in the same city, region and for the last 5 years, even the same country. But I am so glad we kept in touch and that our friendship has been reignited and I share my life with her.

If you ever visit Vancouver my top must sees are:
  1. Stanley Park. Hire bikes and cycle the perimeter. I did this last year and is so worth it
  2. Granville Island. Vancouvers answer to Borough Market. Grab a smoothie and some sushi and sit looking out at downtown Vancouver across the water.

  3. Kits beach. Love it.

  4. Grouse Mountain. If you are fit walk up. If you are feeling lazy get the cable car up. Choose a fine day - the view are amazing as are the nachos and pitchers of beer at the top.

  5. Dove Cove. If I made it into a Kayak so can you - the views of beautiful British Colombia are not to be missed and the outlook from the water incredible

  6. Sushi, sushi and more sushi. California rolls to die for. Seriously - the stuff is amazing.

This year it was great to spend time a couple of days relaxing in a ciy I love with my dear friends, having "done" a lot of the touristy things last year. To meet some of their friends, and just take in the gift of being able to be there. The main trip of our holiday was the 3 days spent on Vancouver Island. I had longed to visit Vancouver Island for years - likening it in my mind to Prince Edward Island for any fellow Anne of Green Gables fans. (Aside to all kindred spirits)

The forecast was awful. But we were blessed with good weather. We set out early on the Saturday morning, only just made the ferry (by about 2 cars) due to an essential coffee and croissant stop. The crossing over to the Island takes about 2 hours by ferry. Then our drive out to Tofino was about 3 hours. The boys saw a bear en route, the girls missed it. Darn. Before we get to our cabin, we stop off at Long Beach. Just beautiful. We've made it - the trip we had to cancel last year due to my illness was only paused - we made it to Tofino after all. The clouds are deep and stark, the beach endless and I am quiet and thankful as I snap photos.







We stay in a lovely cabin near Chesterman beach. We relax, jump into the hot tub in the rain, and then play card games and get good sleep. The next day the boys hire surf boards and Beck and I go for a lovely walk and spend good time together. We eat great food in the evening and just have a really lovely day.


The highlight in terms of wow factor was the tour Jonny and I took on the Monday. Again defying the forecast, we are blessed with good weather. We take a boat trip out to the hot springs and take in some whale watching on the way. The thrill of seeing one of these amazing creatures in the ocean brings back happy memories of our trip to Baja earlier in the year, but thats another story and maybe another post. We walk on the board walk up to the natural volcanic hot springs. We relax in the hot water and then head back down to the coast. Then we get on a sea plane and fly back to Tofino. I have wanted to go on a sea plane since I saw them when I visited Vancouver last summer. It's amazing - we circle a whale from the sky, and the clear afternoon sun provides perfect conditions to see this coastline in all it's glory.





We get the last ferry back to Vancouver. And on Tuesday we take in more sushi and spend more great time with Beck and Nick. I feel sad to be leaving. I love family, friends and home but am fearful of what news of my health I will return to, and want to cling on to this place and this time. I am so grateful to have the Bans in Van in my life, glad to have yet another wonderful memory to have shared with my husbund and for the opportunity to realise one of my dreams to visit Tofino on Vancouver Island. Let me dwell and remember that and not on the fears, for these days, in these times have been wonderful.

No comments: