Sunday 27 September 2009

Sunday Mornings

I love Sunday mornings. I love the laziness of them. I find it hard to relax generally, always busying myself with something or another, but Sunday mornings are the one part of my week I will enjoy laziness. I see nothing wrong whatsoever with still being in my PJ's at noon on a Sunday. And my favourite way to spend them would be in bed. I tend to be torn between staying in bed for longer and venturing downstairs to pick the Observer up off the doorstep, make us a brew, and then quickly retreat for working my way through the Sunday supplements.

Also, it's all about the food. My perfect Sunday morning breakfast is smoked salmon and scrambled eggs. This is probably the only dish that Jonny can make better than me, and he taught me how to make, although the responsibility for making it these days tends to always fall with me...

Ingredients - serves 2
  • Smoked Salmon, chopped into bite size slithers
  • 5 free range organic eggs (believe me, really fresh organic eggs do taste so much better)
  • Dash of oil, knob of butter if you want a real treat
  • Splash of milk (can be dairy or rice - I try to avoid dairy and the rice milk works well)
  • White sliced bread for toasting
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Heat the oil gently in a heavy based saucepan. I find my faithful Le cruset best. Meanwhile gently whisk the eggs with the milk in a jug. Be careful to not over beat - you just want to break the yokes and blend really. Season with black pepper. Now, the secret of good scrambled eggs in my book is slow cooking over a low heat. So, add the eggs to the warm oil and break and move about with a rubber spatula gently from time to time. Again, be careful not to disturb too much, but enough to definitely not produce an omlette. As soon as the eggs look vaguely like scrambled eggs, turn off the heat. The heat of the pan will continue to cook them and there is nothing worse than dry and overcooked scrambled eggs. Add the smoked salmon and stir gently. The salmon will turn from a bright pink, to a soft pale pink - blending with the pale yellow of the runny eggs. Turn out onto hot white toast, season with more black pepper and serve immediately with a cup of tea and the paper in bed. Bliss.

BTW Jon opted for a bacon sandwich ahead of this this morning. That would be without butter and with tommy K. It must be a boy thing, bacon sandwiches. I'm really not that fussed on them.

No comments: