Tuesday 29 September 2009

Tiredness, fatigue and sleepless nights

I've really been struggling with my sleep these past couple of months. The last couple of weeks have been particularly bad and the last couple of days I have discussed this with most people I have met - in the search for an answer to help. I have even sought medical advice from my GP and the hospital.

So, in no particular order here we go...10 tips to get a good nights sleep:

  1. Keep a sleep diary. Apparently it may turn out I am getting more sleep than I think. Also tracking patterns about whether I am continually struggling to get off to sleep or waking up in the night. I already know the 3am issue is pretty constant for me
  2. Go to bed same time and get up same time every day. I am finding this hard at the moment as am so tired and have lacked so much sleep, I feel like I am struggling to wake up in the morning so just want to get it when I can.
  3. Avoid any distractions in the bedroom - TV, reading etc. I have heard the bedroom should only be for sleep (and sex)
  4. Hot bath half an hour before bed. As the body cools after the bath this simulates the body's natural drop in temperature as you go to sleep.
  5. Stretching. Stretching before you go to sleep releases tension in the body
  6. Breathing exercises. Breath in for 7 counts and breathe out for 11. This slows your heart rate apparently. I have been trying this the past couple of nights and it seems to help actually.
  7. Pillow spray. Essential oils on the pillow such as lavender can help with relaxation. Jon thinks this stuff stinks but I seem to persevere anyway. The association with the smells can also trigger your body to know it is time to sleep.
  8. Muscular tensing and relaxing through the body.
  9. Reduce caffeine intake generally
  10. No negativity about sleeping at all. I shouldn't 't even be writing on here that I have a problem with sleep. I have to tell myself all day what a good nights sleep I am going to get and believe it.

So, in true Jo style I am trying all of these at the moment. Nothing like a project in my world. It's 9.05 and I need to take my lavender bath for 30 minutes to allow another 30 minutes to be stretching at 9.45, breathing in for 7 and out for 11 at 9.55 and fast asleep by 10.05. I WILL sleep tonight and I am going to feel so much better for it tomorrow. Yes I will sleep tonight, and I am so looking forward to my good nights sleep....

As an aside I also suffer from fatigue. This is tiredness that is not relieved by sleep and related to my medications etc. But if I can get some sleep, I mean WHEN I get some sleep tonight, then surely it will help. Night night hmm.

2 comments:

family affairs said...

The only thing I've found that works is don't stress if you can't sleep - if your mind is active - write things down, do a blog, read a book....just go with it. Maybe, for the moment your body doesn't want to sleep when you want it to. No big deal. Have less sleep at night and sleep for an hour or three in the day Lx

Jo Blogz said...

Too true. If I get stressed about it then I sleep even less. Last night I slept a total of 8 hours!! This is a recent record. Still feel tired this morning though... x